Monday, July 19, 2010

Yesterday and Today

Last week we introduced a Sovereign Grace (see link on the right) tune called "Oh the Deep, Deep Love." We sang it again yesterday. I really, really, really like this song. The verses have rich thoughts about the work of Jesus, and the chorus is a response to that great work. I love songs that give you some room for reflection. That's why I think Chris Tomlin's re-write of "When I Survey" ("The Wonderful Cross") works so well. It's the same melody and the same old hymn, but it's got a great chorus that allows you to reflect on the verses. I think that's why it takes me a little longer to fall in love with old hymns - I have to memorize all the words before it really sinks in.

I just finished a study of 1 & 2 Samuel. To me, these 2 books are like a musical: The 1st act is upbeat and climaxes to the end. The 2nd act is darker, sometimes even depressing, but usually with an ending of hope. What's helpful to me about the Old Testament is that you get to see how God intercts with people in their day to day life, good times and bad. You get to see how he brings about his good and perfect will even when the world seems to be falling apart. It's helping shape my theology about who God is. Even though it's not always as easy of a read as the New Testament, I'm learning to love it.

This morning, I began a reread of Max Lucado's "In the Grip of Grace." It's been 10 years since I last read it (I was 17 years old then). I'm one of those people who doesn't like to admit their need for help. I'm quicker to give advice than to ask for it, so naturally, I struggle with grace and the acceptance of God's forgiveness. When I saw this book on the shelf, I knew right away I needed to read it again. Having been a Christian for 10 years now, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to understand it better, and hopefully, be more amazed at grace by the end. In all the moves Stacy and I have made and of all the things we've thrown away, I'm glad we've kept all of our old books.

No comments:

Post a Comment