Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Scary 36 Hours with a Silver Lining

Around the time I would normally have been blogging last week, my wife's world took a wild turn. For 36 straight hours, she suffered from what is known as "Braxton Hicks" contractions. These are preparatory contractions the body performs to get ready for real labor. They began quietly around 7am last Wednesday and did not completely go away until midnight Friday morning. I can't think of anything more deafeating than going to a hospital twice in 24 hours only to be told, "There's nothing else we can do." There's nothing more excruciating than trying all you can to help your wife carry the load, only to see that she's really carrying all of it. It was scary, it was painful, and it was exhausting - particularly for her.

Thankfully, we have some women in our church that serve in the medical field and were able to give me some coaching on what I could do. After those 2 hospital visits, I was determined that we weren't going back unless we first spoke with people we knew. With some good breathing exercises, changing of position, and rehydration, the contractions finally faded away.

I don't believe that God enjoys putting us through painful situations, but I think he delights in what those situations produce in us. We've been through other situations where all control was lost, and we've been at our rope's end before. It seems the silver lining is always the same - where else can we run to? I mean seriously...what else or who else but God is going to be able to help in times where all control is lost? Sure, we can kick and scream. We can shake our fists and have meltdowns - but in the end - God never leaves or changes. He is the only solid Rock we've got, and maybe times like these are just reminders of that fact. So while neither of us ever wish for things like that to happen, we're always thankful for how our faith and our marriage are strengthened in the end.

Here's what Job said in the midst of his suffering: "And as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last, He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. "(Job 19:25-26). Sometimes, that's enough to get us through.

Oh yeah...Stacy and baby are doing just fine. She just had her 36-week checkup. She measured perfect, and the doctor was even able to feel the baby's head, which means she's in the right position! Thank you for all of your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment