Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Songs From My Baby Years": Draw Me Close



Last week I started a new blog series called "Songs From My Baby Years." Lately, I've really enjoyed thinking back to some of the songs I was listening to when I first became a Christian. In Colossians 2 it says, "In the same way you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him." These songs make my heart glad and encourage me to keep running the race. They stir up my affections for God and His Word, just like they did 12 years ago. It was through the hearing of these songs that I received Christ Jesus, and I want to continue listening to them for the rest of my life.

This week, I'm featuring a song called "Draw Me Close." This song was written by a girl named Kelly Carpenter, but, at least in my world, was made famous by a group called The Katinas. The Katinas didn't have very many hits (you may also remember the song "You Are God" from this group), but their arrangement of "Draw Me Close" was enough to put them on my map. This is a very intimate song. It speaks of longing and yearning for a Father who will whisper His love to us. If an infant could express it's deepest longings to its mother or father, it would probably sound like this:

Draw me close to you
Never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear you say that I'm your friend
You are my desire
No one else will do
'Cause nothing else can take your place
To feel the warmth of your embrace
Help me find the way
Bring me back to you

You're all I want
You're all I've ever needed
You're all I want
Help me know You are near

It's funny how the first 2 songs of this blog series have to do with feeding and cuddling. It makes sense that they'd impact me so much as a new believer: they're written as from the perspective of a helpless, 100% dependent child. Something about the lyrics and instruments of this song feel to me like a baby in a nursery - quiet, intimate, and safe. And the best part about it - there's no way you can walk away from this song feeling proud. It gets you in the correct posture before the Father.

This is my desire in worship, that I not only believe the words I'm singing, but that I feel a tangible sense of God's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment