Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Isaiah 53 Exercise

Isaiah 53:5-6 is one of the most comforting and assuring passages to me. It's a great reminder that I don't have to pay for my sins. Jesus did. It's even more comforting to be on this side of it, that I can look back and know that the work was already done. Imagine how much more difficult it must have been for people to try and believe the prophecy that a Savior would one day wash away sins for good, but still find themselves going to Passover year after year with no change. Imagine that child whose father and mother would tell him the prophesies of the coming Savior, and next thing you know, that child is now 60 years old and still hasn't seen his Messiah. Belief by faith...not by sight. Looking at it from that angle is very eerie but amazing, too. It's a great testimony to a. God's faithfulness, and b. Don't put God in the dock just because he's making you wait.

Sometimes I read through Isaiah 53 as a reminder of where my atonement comes from. Most times, instead of using our and us, I'll insert my own name. Sometimes I need to remember that Jesus died not just for sins in general, but for all my personal, real, tangible, everyday...sins. It goes like this:

"But He (Jesus) was pierced through for Rick's transgressions, He was crushed for Rick's iniquities; the chastening for Rick's well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging Rick is healed. Rick like a sheep has gone astray, Rick has turned to his own way; but the Lord has caused the iniquity of Rick to fall on [Jesus]."

Maybe you need to be reminded that Jesus paid your penalty, and that your guilt is needless. Insert your name in the blanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment