Monday, June 13, 2011

"Songs From My Baby Years": Breathe

Right now I'm training two people in our church to become worship leaders. It's kind of making me feel old, especially when I tell them that "Shout to the Lord" was a Hillsong tune (Hillsong has definitely gotten more edgy in the past 10 years). One of the things I'm doing is introducing them to worship artists and songs that helped shape me. Chances are, if you ask any worship leader, they'll be able to point to a few artists and songs that had a monumental impact on them. For me, one combination of artist/song that greatly impacted me was Christ Nockels singing the song "Breathe."

Think of the most angelic female voice you've ever heard (before the days of Kari Jobe) combined with a passionate, longing heart. Christy teaches us what a worshipper should be doing, because when you listen to her sing, you can feel her energy and desire for God. She's not a show-boat; she just sings what she feels.

Marie Barnett is the original author of "Breathe", but Christy's approach to the song is the best out there. You can find it on one of the older Passion albums (OneDay Live):

This is the air I breath (x2)
Your holy presence
Living in me

This is my daily bread (x2)
Your very word spoken to me

And I...I'm desperate for You
And I...I'm lost without You

Isn't it amazing how these few words can say so much? Is this not the core of the Christian life? Our 2 most basic needs: God's presence & God's Word. And the best part about it? This song describes the very posture in which God desires us to be: humble, broken, contrite, needy. Isn't this where we find our strength?





No comments:

Post a Comment