Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jesus, My Great High Priest

I'm very excited about a new hymn re-write I'm working on. The text is from "Jesus, My Great High Priest," found in the Trinity Hymnal. While on vacation this past week, I was able to play it for my brother-in-law (who, by the way, is the best musician/writer I know - also my best friend), and he not only gave me the green light, but asked for a recording when I'm through laying down a demo for our choir. Here's the text:


Jesus, my great High Priest
Offered His blood and died
My guilty conscience seeks
No sacrifice beside
His powerful blood did once atone
And now it pleads before the throne

To this dear Surety's hand
Will I commit my cause
He answers and fulfills
His Father's broken laws
Behold my soul at freedom set
My Surety paid the dreadful debt

My Advocate appears
For my defense on high
The Father bows His ears
And lays His thunder by
Not all that hell or sin can say
Shall turn His heart, His love away

This song is absolutely rich in gospel truth, particularly Christ's office as Priest. I wish I could have written this new tune last year when TJ was teaching through Hebrews, because the doctrine of Christ's Priesthood is all over that book. Nevertheless, it's a text - as any gospel text is - that's appropriate for any season.

That's all for now. Christmas is on the horizon...

No comments:

Post a Comment